Wednesday 13 February 2013

Unit Traditions

Traditions are difficult to give up, especially when they've also become routine and you don't notice how outdated they are! 

I was a Brownie and a Guide, as were my fellow Leaders and we have taught our Guides the traditions that we grew up with. The Brownies skip into Brownie Ring, the Guides raise the flag in horseshoe and the absolutely girls love to do "Twist Me and turn me and show me the elf" at Promise ceremonies! Whenever we have changed things up and held an alternate ceremony, the girls ask me when the real Promise ceremony will be!


Brownie Ring
After our initial game, the girls go to their Patrol corners, mark Patrol attendance and then skip into the Brownie Ring. When I was in Brownies each Patrol sung their own Patrol song based on their bush fairy character. I still remember each of the songs!


Credit: http://www.sparklesgarden.com/officialaustralianpatches.html




We're Moora Moors,
Happy and bright,
Trying hard to do what's right!








When the bush fairies were replaced with Australian animals we had the girls create their own Patrol songs based around the tune of the bush fairy songs.


Credit: http://www.guidesnsw.ashop.com.au/p/507645/patrol-emblem---rosella.html


We're Rosellas,
Green and red,
We don't like flies but we like bread!









My Brownies no longer sing the songs as when they elected new Patrol emblems they created new complicated songs with lyrics that they could never seem to remember. Instead they sing the "Brownie Guide Song" as they form the Brownie ring.

Brownie Guide Song
We're Brownie Guides, we're Brownie Guides
We're here to lend a hand
To love our God and serve our Queen
and help our homes and land.
We've Brownie friends, we've Brownie friends
in North, South, East and West,
We're joined together in our wish
to try to do our best.

Clearly with our new Australian Guide Promise we're well overdue for an update to this song, but I really love it and the Brownies have timed it down to an artform to have all the girls in the ring by the time the lyrics end. Any suggestions for altered lyrics so that the tune can remain the same?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What traditions do you have in your unit and what has been adapted?

2 comments:

  1. Hi There!

    When I started leading last year I was shocked to hear this version (I'll paste below) as I so loved the brownie song.

    The 5-7 year olds I joined then sung this (They are called gumnut guides)

    We are Gumnut Guides, Gumnut Guides
    Listen to us sing.

    Gumnut Guides, Gumnut Guides
    Dancing in a ring.

    We will try to care and share,
    you will find us everywhere.

    Gumnut Guides, Gumnut Guides
    Listen to our song.

    Gumnut Guides Gumnut Guides
    Helping all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, i've never heard that version before! I do love the songs I grew up with as well, which is why I prefer lyric changes rather than using new songs. It's nice for the girls to have that mix of old and new.

    I actually need to update the Brownie Song, although I haven't figured out how just yet! I think i'm fine with all the lyrics but just need to adapt the "To love our God and serve our Queen" line to fit with the new Promise.

    It's really hard for me to remember the changes with songs i've sung my whole lives. The girls are much better at it than I am!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!