Monday 12 August 2013

Old Fashioned Party Games

Sometimes the best nights can be as simple as going back your childhood. And by that I mean MY childhood.

We decided to have a slumber party at the Guide hall with the simple agenda of party games and a movie. And it couldn't have been a more successful night. Don't you just love when things go according to plan?

Pass-the-parcel was a game I never really enjoyed. Sure, you were given lollies and prizes just for unwrapping a layer of paper but it never really interested me. And worse, when my mother planned the game for my birthday parties she would often skip lollies and put in cards that said "Do 5 star jumps". For someone that disliked being but in the spotlight it was not a game I enjoyed.

The girls were adamant about playing pass-the-parcel at the sleepover so I knew I had to think of something to make it more interesting. Inspired by my Mum's version of the game, I hunted for a long, long time for ideas. It's hard to find an answer when you don't really know what question you are asking!

I finally found my answer from the lovely ladies at www.guiders.co.uk

Pass-the-parcel forfeits.

None of the Guides had never played "forfeits" either (maybe it's not played in Australia...?) but they loved it! They worked together. Supported each other. Every person had a try. And most importantly, everybody had fun! 

The rules are simple.

Pass-the-Parcel: Forfeits

1. Everybody sits in a circle and when the music commences, passes around a package wrapped up with many layers of newspaper.
2. When the music stops, that person opens one layer of newspaper and reads the challenge inside.
3. The player can choose to either complete the challenge or forfeit it to another player. Whoever completes the challenge earns a treat, in our case, one m&m (which the girls were thrilled with!)
4. Play continues until all layers have been unwrapped.
5. Often the last layer has a larger prize, but we didn't feel that was necessary.

Here were the challenges we used:



This game was so successful, that it was the only other game they ended up playing was the chocolate game!

I haven't tried this out with the Brownies yet, but i'm sure that they'll love it as much as the Guides did!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How do you adapt traditional party games to fit a Guiding meeting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!