Thursday 6 August 2015

Free Being Me – a mid-way review

I have to admit, that while I was excited to begin the Free Being Me program with the girl's, I was also a little nervous. I had never run a meeting that was completely structured by somebody else, so it was a learning experience for me! 

We are now mid-way through the program having completed three sessions with the Junior Guides and one with the Guides. I thought this was a good time to share some of my experiences so far.

At a FBM Leader's training I attended, we were told the activity pack was so great that you could just pick it up and run with it. I think there was a little bit of false advertising there! Even when reading the content in the Leader's pack, it mentions preparation time and practicing activities with fellow Leader's. Personally, I have spent time reading the sessions, highlighting important section and making notes, printing pages, looking up the songs on Youtube, organising equipment (even though it is fairly basic) and even then, I still spend most of the meeting with the book in my hand as a reference. 

I am really pleased with the range of activities (even the ones I was initially skeptical of) and how the girl's are responding and learning. Favourites have been: Somewhere in the World (session one), A Happy Ending (session two) and Airbrushing (session 3).

Despite the range of activities, there can be a lot of sit down time for writing and discussions (small group and unit). For this reason I make time for a movement activity (a game or campfire song) to break things up a little at the beginning and middle of the meeting. This has really helped with concentration and participation. If you want to stick with the FBM theme, you could always throw in an extra round of the games Pelele (session 2) or Ringa, Ringa (session 4), however I don't mind breaking from the topic for a few minutes to let out some silliness while playing Captain's Coming or singing, Go Bananas.


Overall, the biggest challenges have been: time and the personal challenges.

TIME

Each session recommends 60 minutes to complete the activities. My meetings run for an hour and a half and taking out time for: waiting for everybody to arrive, playing a game to get rid of excess energy, skipping into Brownie ring and cleaning up after drawing activities, there is half an hour of the meeting gone!

A few of the activities require drawing or writing in small groups and then coming back for group discussion. Anytime you put a texta in one of my girl’s hands, I know it is going to take longer than planned. I don't mind this extra time of working with peers, especially as they have been staying on task and coming up with great ideas!

However, if this sounds like your unit, I would recommend having a spare FBM night in your program to use as a catch-up night. I only allowed one meeting for each session, which means if we had other plans for the remainder of the term, there is a strict timetable to keep to so as to not get behind. Luckily I do have extra time in our term program to play catch up – which means I can also add in other ideas I have found which compliment the program. However, if you had only allowed 5 weeks and have a unit that may need extra time to - play an active game, sketch a drawing in pencil before adding colour and write painstakingly slow in cursive - that extra meeting may be just what you need! And if you don't end up needing additional time to get through the session, it can always become a 'best-of FBM night'!


PERSONAL CHALLENGES

Each week there is a personal challenge to take home and complete for the following week. 
You really need to get your parents on board for this. The challenges are not difficult or time consuming, but fitting them in around school work and other commitments may be an issue. And that's not even mentioning actually remembering to bring the challenge to the next week's meeting! Despite verbal and written reminders, not everybody brings back her challenges. I'd say there is a 75% success rate, which means allowing time the following week to play catch-up. Yes, using up even more of that precious time.

--------

Hopefully, these notes have provided a little insight to anyone that is getting ready to commence FBM. Overall, I am very pleased with the program and grateful for the work that was put into creating it. My next post will finally be getting into the exciting stuff - the activities from session one.

Learn more about Free Being Me on the official website!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!