Tuesday 28 October 2014

Visiting Girl Scout Headquarters in New York City

If you ever find yourself in New York City with some extra time on your hands why not stop by the National Headquarters of the Girl Scouts of America? There you can visit the Girl Scout shop, the Girl Scout museum or even have a behind the scenes tour. No appointment is needed to visit the shop, but make sure to book online if you wish to visit the museum or have a tour (more information below).

The building is conveniently located in the heart of 5th Avenue, so there's a good chance you'll be close by anyway at one of many tourist attractions that are less than a 10 minute walk away (Empire State Building, Macy's, Bryant Park).



National headquarters is located at 420 fifth Avenue, however the building can only be accessed from 37th or 38th street. Either entry in fine, although the 37th street entrance is prettier, plus has a GS marble bench outside where you can pose for photos!



Entrance on 37th Street. The Girl Scout bench is located on the left where Mr Blue Jeans is sitting.




Entrance on 38th Street.



Once entering the building, walk to the security guard at the concierge desk to check in - make sure to bring photo ID!! Explain that you wish to visit the Girl Scout shop or if you have made an appointment in advance, that you are visiting the museum or have a tour reservation.

You will be passed a phone and patched through to Girl Scout reception so that they can confirm your reason for visiting. Once that is all sorted you will be given a visitors sticker (something for the travel scrapbook!) and directed to the elevators. The shop is located on the 11th floor, which uses the elevators on the right hand side.


Once you exit the elevator, turn right. Head through the glass doors to the reception desk. The shop is to the right of reception and if you are headed off for the museum or a tour you will be directed appropriately.

The shop isn't huge, but it's fun to look at the merchandise and you might be able to find a treat for yourself such as a Girl Scout shirt or perhaps this cute badge for your camp blanket!



My favorite items are these Precious Moments ornaments! Aren't they lovely? I have the design on the bottom right which stands at about 13cm (5 inches). 




As I mentioned, it's not a huge store so make sure to email ahead of time if you want something in particular, or if your time is limited, so that your items can be ready for pickup. These ornaments have been around for a few years now, so they may not be in stock at the NYC store. You don't want to turn up and find out they don't have what you have been coveting!


Other things to do at National Headquarters:

After you visit the store make sure to visit the Girl Scout Museum where you can view photographs, uniform and more dating back to 1912.

If you book online at least two weeks in advance you can also be given a tour of Headquarters and get a behind the scenes look at Girl Scouting. Tours run at 10am and 2pm, Monday through Friday with a maximum group size of 50 people. Don't forget to make a reservation!

Address:
Girl Scout National Headquarters
420 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10018 
--------------------------------------------------------
 Have you visited Girl Scout National Headquarters in NYC?

2 comments:

  1. I visited and I didn't find the people in the shop to be particularly welcoming. I explained that I was a guider in the UK. I've visited a shop in Australia and I found them to be more welcoming. In Australia I was asked loads about my guides and what we did. I was given a nice little pack which is what they give to new girls transferring into the State. In NYC - I was asked no questions. I advised I would like to buy badges for my units and I would like it to be an official badge and could I buy the programme resource. I was told firmly that I was not allowed to buy it because I was not a Girl Scout member. Now, I don't see why there would be a problem selling me a resource! I was directed to Centenary stock and told that was all I could really purchase. I think they were just trying to shift it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth,
      I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointing visit to NYC headquarters! I admit that on the occasions I have visited over the years, I also haven't received the warmest of receptions, but i've never been denied purchasing certain items! I have bought badges, program books and uniform which I use as international resources for my Guides. I don't understand why they wouldn't sell these items to you, especially as if you hadn't mentioned anything they wouldn't have known if you were a GS Leader or not (and likely would not have asked). I'm sorry this was your experience, however I am glad that it appears your time in Australia was completely opposite. I have also heard great feedback from international visitors to our state receiving a great reception and badges/books to take back home.
      -BGL

      Delete

Thanks for your comment!